Sunday, March 10, 2013

To the Beach

One of the things I love about where we live is how close we are to the coast. And one thing we love to do at the coast is dig for razor clams. Since there were digs this weekend with afternoon low tides (opposed to the insanely early morning ones), we decided to load up the kids and head to the beach. Olivia was super excited to go, though she didn't understand about the whole clam digging thing.

If you've never had them, razor clams are delicious, and I like when we dig our own. You can use a shovel, but we're gun people around here:)
Yes, that is my custom pink clam gun:) 


 Since this is Washington, going to the beach means bundling up like you're trekking through the mountains. Livi was prepared, and ready to help Daddy.

Clam digging is serious business.
Normally I love to dig my own, but since I was packing Aidan in the carrier, Marlin might have helped me get my limit:) Aidan and I supervised. My job is spotting the little suckers in the sand, and I'm pretty good at it, if I do say so myself. It's a talent:)
Hanging out in the carrier


Razor clams aren't the prettiest things, but they are really tasty. I forgot to take a picture yesterday, but in case you've never seen one, hear ya go:
This is from a few years ago. And yep, I caught that bad boy myself.



All told, we had a really nice day. The sun was out, it wasn't too windy, and best of all it didn't rain:) Olivia had fun playing in the sand, throwing it, and pretending to sink in the holes left by the clam guns.
A lovely March day on the Washington coast

2 comments:

  1. That sounds like so much fun! I've never tasted or even seen razor clams before. Definitely on my list of things to try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, they're fabulous. We love seafood at our house, and razor clams are some of our favorite, even for breakfast, dipped in cracker crumbs, fried and served with eggs.

      Delete